Living without light

Living without light

Can you imagine not having electricity?

No safe light source to rely on after dark. Having to use dangerous kerosene lamps, open fires or flashlights to see at night, every night.

Tharin, 15, and new mum Marady, do not have to imagine.

They are among the 7 out of 10 people in Cambodia who have no access to electricity. And the impact this can have severe.

Without access to safe and reliable lights, children like Tharin struggle to read or study at night. They cannot go out safely after dark. And they are forced to rely on dangerous open fires or kerosene lamps – which can quickly cause deadly fires.

As a high school student, Tharin needs to spend hours studying at home to keep up with her school work.

But by the time she has completed her chores, and she is ready to start her homework, it is dark.

“I wanted to have a better future and success in my education.
I didn’t want to be like my parents, who were not able to go to school.

But the kerosene lamp flickered, making it hard to read.
If it was windy or rainy, the lamp would go out.”

It was not long before Tharin was falling behind at school simply because she did not have a safe and reliable light.

Will you donate a solar lamp and help a child like Tharin to be safe at night?

It was Christmas Day when mum-to-be, Marady, arrived at Khsach Andaet Health Centre, frightened and in early labour with her first child. By the time she was in advanced labour, it was nearly 7pm and pitch dark outside.

The unstable electricity supply that the centre relies on means that the power here goes off regularly and unexpectedly during the night. On weekends, it can be shut off for whole days at a time.

Her baby was born early on Boxing Day to the dim light of a flashlight. Luckily both mum and baby were safe, but things could easily have been much different:

“The midwife said there was no electricity.

I was so scared of the darkness. I was frightened my baby would
be difficult to deliver. And I was terrified my baby would be in danger.”

When we spoke to Marady’s midwife, Sokha, she described how the power failure that struck the health centre made it much harder for her to keep the young mother and her baby safe. She added that administering an injection giving stitches and patient care in the dim light is difficult and can be dangerous.

Will you give the gift of light to new mums by donating a solar panel?

Bring able to turn on a light is something that is easy to take for granted. But having safe and reliable lighting is life changing for children like Tharin and new mums like Marady

Please donate today.