ChildFund Australia is committed to safeguarding the personal information you supply in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988(Commonwealth) and National Privacy Principles. ChildFund Australia understands the vital importance of protecting private information. Personal information is collected, used and protected as set out at below.
Information we collect
The information that ChildFund collects and stores typically includes:
- Your name, address, phone numbers, email addresses (contact information)
- Your date of birth, gender, income and occupation
- Your employer’s details, if you participate in workplace giving
- Your bank account or credit card details
- A history of your donations, emails, letters and other interactions with ChildFund Australia
- Details you may choose to provide about your values, interests and beliefs
- Your ChildFund website username and password and your interactions with ChildFund-related websites
How we use information
ChildFund uses your personal information to:
- Process or confirm your donation and issue a receipt
- Send you information about how your donation was used
- Update you if we have information that may affect your child sponsorship
- Confirm who you are when you contact us
- Keep you informed about our work
- Respond to your questions, comments, compliments or complaints
- Inform you about new opportunities to support our work
- Analyse donor activity in order to improve our effectiveness
How we collect information
ChildFund collects information that you provide to us over the phone, in correspondence, in person, via our website and related social media platforms, or in response to our fundraising appeals.
We also collect information from third parties who fundraise for us, or organise workplace giving.
If someone make a donation on your behalf, and asks that you receive information about their gift, we will collect the information they provide about you.
We also source information from public records, such as telephone directories and lists we purchase for direct marketing.
Cookies, our website and your privacy
In order to understand how people arrive at the ChildFund Australia website and related social media platforms and how they use it, we rely on cookies provided by third parties. This enables us to assess the effectiveness of our online advertisements. Cookies do not reveal personal information, such as your name, address, phone numbers or email address. You can adjust your browser to disable cookies, but this may restrict your ability to access certain areas of our website.
When we reveal information
ChildFund does not rent, swap or sell your details to any other organisation without your consent. However ChildFund may disclose personal information to:
- credit providers, in order to authorise your payments
- an authorised legal representative nominated by you
- law enforcement, government or other organisations, as required by law
- external suppliers, including suppliers located overseas, that we contract with to assist with the administration and management of our organisation. These external suppliers, which
- include mailing and call centre operators, are contractually bound to use your information only for the reason it was provided.
If you sponsor a child, your name and address will be supplied to the ChildFund office in the country where your sponsor child lives. If you wish to visit your sponsored child in an overseas country, we may also reveal information that is legally required for security and police checks.
ChildFund may send you information about products or services offered by businesses that support our work. We do not disclose your personal information to these businesses. If you choose to become a customer of one of these businesses, by purchasing these products or services, they may choose to collect your information and send further offers to you.
How we protect information
ChildFund understands the importance of keeping your personal information safe and secure.
We use security encrypted response forms to protect the personal and financial information you provide us over the Internet. To confirm that your browser supports our encryption system, check for a security icon (usually a padlock) at the bottom of your screen.
We have secured our in‐house IT system with a firewall and anti‐virus scanners. We also ensure that all personal information is removed from computers before disposal or sale.
Hard copy files are kept in secure cabinets and staff are trained in our privacy procedures. Only authorised staff have access your information and only when it is required.
How you can protect your information
If you sponsor a child, please ensure you follow ChildFund Australia’s guidelines on communicating with, and visiting, sponsored children, to ensure your privacy is maintained. All communication between you and your sponsored child must go through a ChildFund office in Australia or overseas. This includes but is not limited to post, electronic communication, on‐line and post and face-to-face visits.
How long we keep your information
ChildFund Australia will destroy or de‐identify your personal information when we no longer need it for the purpose for which it was collected, unless the law requires otherwise.
Gaining access to your personal information
You are entitled to access all of your personal information that ChildFund Australia has collected and stored. To request access, please contact us using the contact details below.
Changing your details
If you want to change or update your personal information, please contact us and include your name, postal and email address and phone numbers, as well as your ChildFund Australia supporter number (A00 number). Please contact us using the contact details below.
Opting out of future communication
If you don’t want to receive communications or marketing materials, please contact us using the contact details below.
- write to us at ChildFund Australia, Level 8, 162 Goulburn Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010
- call 1800 023 600.