- Papua New Guinea is Australia’s closest neighbour, located just 150km from our shores.
- PNG is the most linguistically diverse country in the world with more than 700 native languages spoken.
- The country is famous for the Kokoda Track, which attracts thousands of trekkers each year.
Why children need your help
- Health, sanitation and nutrition are among the major issues impacting children, as well as the alarmingly high HIV and AIDS infection rate.
- PNG has the lowest primary school enrolment rate in the East Asia and Pacific region, with as many as half of all children not attending school.
- Around 85% of Papua New Guineans live in rural areas with few or no facilities. High unemployment, poor infrastructure and the sheer inaccessibility of many parts of the country makes progress incredibly difficult.
ChildFund at work
Out of the waste dump into the classroom
Better incomes for farmers